In 2010, Johnson & Johnson pledged to support the United Nations' Millennium Development Goals (MDG) 4, 5 and 6 with a comprehensive, five-year commitment to reach as many as 120 million women and children a year by 2015. Johnson & Johnson has been working side-by-side with implementing partners in 82 countries to reach more than 200 million women and children since 2010.
In 2013 alone, Johnson & Johnson supported programs and partnerships that reached approximately 88 million women and children. Since 2010, Johnson & Johnson has invested more than $151 million in cash grants and product donations and tens of millions more in research and development.
Working with our partners, we focus on areas in which there is the greatest potential to foster improvements in the health of women and children:
- Since 2010, more than 275,000 health workers have been trained around the world through programs and partnerships supported by Johnson & Johnson.
- 12.6 million women and children in China, Vietnam, India, South Africa, and Uganda have been reached through health care worker training programs to prevent birth asphyxia.
- 177 million children have been treated for intestinal worms through the donation of 355 million doses of VERMOX®.
- More than 520,000 pregnant women have been provided with prevention of mother -to- child transmission of HIV treatment services at 348 mothers2mothers sites.
- 525,000 new and expecting moms received health information via mobile phones through MAMA and other programs, including MomConnect, a just-launched partnership with the government of South Africa.
Since 2010, Johnson & Johnson has played leadership roles in many global health coalitions including the Frontline Health Workers Coalition, the H4+ and Survive and Thrive.
Johnson & Johnson remains steadfastly committed to supporting the health of women and children in the decades ahead. We will continue to stand by our partners to ensure that maternal and child health and survival remains front-and-center as the post-2015 global development goals are defined and finalized.